Wednesday, February 1, 2012

chunky mini w/ tag pockets

Here's a mini album I made that's got pockets for holding tags and has lots of space between the pages so they can be embellished with lots of chunkies. The best part - it was SO quick and easy to make. Doesn't look quick, but trust me - I am a s-l-o-w crafter, and this thing took me about 25 minutes, including the time it took to cut the chipboard covers.

I had seen other tutorials on this type of album, but they seemed too complicated, and too time-consuming because the score lines weren't evenly spaced, and there was a lot of use of paper-backed tape to peel, and messy liquid glues. The one that made it all clear is Fiona - one of my favorite YouTube people. Here's a link to her video:

The key thing for quick and easy is using a glue gun. And the bond is stronger than tapes in my opinion. Anyway, please see her video for detailed instructions, but below I've listed my measurements, and a few things I did differently.




I did a few things differently than Fiona:
- I only used half sheets for the pockets (and only did 5 of them), so I made my score lines only 3/8" apart
- I made 2 additional score lines to accommodate extra room between the pockets and the covers
- I did not add the chipboard to the spine. I had first made another one with the chipboard spine, but then my pages wouldn't lay flat when the album was open. (When I decorate these, I will just add a flexible cardstock spine cover that is just attached to the front and back chipboard.)

My measurements for this particular size mini:
- Cardstock for spine: 3-5/8" x 8", make 1st score at 1", then every 3/8" until you get to 7", for a total of 17 score lines (you want 3 score lines for each pocket, then add 2 scores for front & back allowance).
- Pockets: half sheet of cardstock = 5-1/2" x 8-1/2". Score long side at 3-3/4" & 7-1/2"  (I used a 1-1/2" circle punch on the ends)
- Chipboard covers: 4" x 5-3/4"

I've also made one in black (painted chipboard covers with acrylic paint) that I'm planning to do in a Halloween theme - put one photo of Mike on each page for each year he wore a costume when he used to trick-or-treat, then put additional photos (group shots of all the kids in the neighborhood, etc.) in fold-out panels that are tucked in the pockets.

I hope I was clear with the instructions. If anyone has any questions, please ask!



1 comment:

  1. What a great project - I think would be perfect for ATC's as well. Thanks for sharing that video link.

    ReplyDelete